navigation bar

MAGAZINE SUBMISSIONS ABOUT VIDEOS SUBSCRIBE CONTACT


.

.

13.8.13

Art Nook: The Inside Take by Carlos Mario Boscio


By Bianca Nieves

It’s time for the tables to be turned and get The Inside Take of the creator himself: Carlos Mario Boscio; a freelance photographer and videographer. This talented young man uses his own exceptional visual images and documentary skills to give forthcoming artists the limelight they deserve.


Care to give us The Inside Take of your project?
CMB: The Inside Take is a series of short documentaries in which I film local artists performing at interesting locations. It involves a little bit of storytelling and interviews, so people can learn a bit more about them, which is what the project is all about. The project is currently based in Puerto Rico, but there are plans of expanding it outside of the island in  the near future.

Being a freelance photographer and videographer, what triggered your interest to start this project?
CMB: Vincent Moon. I had always been a fan of the Take Away Shows and other similar channels on YouTube. Such as: Watch Listen Tell, Burberry, The Mahogany Sessions, etc., and I always loved to film my brother performing his songs, as well. I was always amazed of how many talents abounded the world and how not many people noticed them. I admired these people because they would help give these amazing artists the exposure that they so much deserved. Nevertheless, it was one night in particular that really triggered everything for me. It was back in February 2011; my brother and I did a screening in our house for Vincent Moon’s latest film called “An Island” (which was about the Danish band, Efterklang).  After seeing such an amazing film, and learning more about Vincent Moon’s projects, a desire in me to film musicians and tell their stories grew stronger than you can imagine. After that, I started paying attention to the local bands near my home and in my country, and noticed that there were also a lot of hidden talents here as well! I had been dying to start this project, so one day I used my brother as my “lab-rat” to test it out. After seeing how well it came out, I decided to keep doing it, but not limit myself to musicians only and try to look for other types of artists too.
After making approximately twenty videos for The Inside Take, how has your work progressed throughout each and every one of them?
CMB: Well, with almost every Inside Take I make, I learn something new; it can be from something technical to learning how to deal with people more, and I take note of things that I should keep doing in future Takes, or stop doing. I think that’s helped me grow more and make my work progress every time.

You have made other short films and even a music video for Indigo, can you tell us the difference or what thought process goes behind each project? Which works do you prefer doing?
CMB: I consider short films to be something very personal. I haven’t done many, but the ones I’ve been planning are so. When doing short films, the thought process is really intense because I always visualize everything very precise and detailed and sometimes, it’s hard to get everything how you want it to be. One just has to learn to let it shape itself, which is something I’m slowly trying to learn. Nevertheless, I think it’s the one I enjoy the most, because it’s really my chance to take what I feel inside and let it out visually. Music has always been one of the most important parts when making a video; it works cohesively. So, for me, making a music video is almost like making a short film, because I’m used to putting visuals to audio, and it’s still telling a story. It’s just not my feelings that are being expressed on the screen, but the artist’s.

People always say that being creative is key and that one must always have a special touch to hypnotize your viewers, but what does “creativity” or “being creative” mean to you?
CMB: For me, being creative is: knowing how to work with what you have, you know – making something out of nothing. Also, not being afraid of taking risks and experimenting with new things, as long as you keep it authentic; always having in mind what Jean-Luc Godard once said: “It’s not where you take things from – it’s where you take them to.”

Let’s say that, metaphorically, you have the opportunity to dine with 3 people. You call the shots: a poet, a writer, a director, who would they be? Do they have any influence on your work?
CMB: Jeff Buckley, Vincent Moon and Jean-Luc Godard. I’ve already mentioned two of them, and yes, they are all a huge influence in all my work and have inspired me a great deal.  I think the most important thing I’ve learned from all three of them is to not be afraid to take risks and try new things, and learn to be determined and fight for what you want and express what you want to express through your art, not what the media wants you to.

It seems like The Inside Take is just taking flight, and that they’re more projects near the horizon:  what would your dream project be and what would you like to achieve professionally?
CMB: It certainly is, and there’s a lot more new stuff coming up. I actually do have a “dream project” or “dream film”, which is literally that, because it’s something from a dream. I don’t want to go into much detail because the idea and concept is still incomplete, and I don’t think I’ll be doing it soon. If it ever happens though, it’s going to be pretty big. Professionally, there is a couple of stuff that I’d like to achieve. While I’m still in my youth, I’d like to stay working with artists and maybe doing a couple of fashion films; as well as some of my own personal short films. Maybe later, when I’m older and more experienced, I’d love to start doing feature films, but I don’t want to start planning my life too ahead of time. I’ll just see where everything takes me.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given? And knowing that now, what advice you would give to other upcoming freelance photographers/videographers?
CMB: Be patient. These things take time, like almost everything in the art world. Just keep practicing and keep working hard on it. If you really give it your all, and you’re fully determined, you’ll achieve what you want. Patience and hard work is key! Also, having a clear mind of what you want makes things easier. So if you don’t, work on finding that out too.


Make sure you keep tabs on his work by following his Vimeo page and Tumblr!